SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post
Features & Benefits:
* 81 cm height allows cats to stretch fully and tone muscles
* Sturdy 41 x 41 cm base eliminates tipping and wobbling
* Fibrous and durable woven sisal naturally inspires scratching
* Superior to carpeted posts that may snag nails
* Assembles with two included screws
* Attractive and neutrally toned
Why do cats scratch?
Scratching is something that comes naturally to cats, they do it for multiple reasons such as to remove old nail sheaths, to play, to release boredom or stress, to show territory, the list goes on!
SmartCat Training Tips:
* Place the post in a room where the cat spends a lot of time. Cats often like to stretch and scratch when they wake up from a nap.
* To introduce the post to your cat try using catnip as a lure. (For most cats a lure is unnecessary, but fun.)
* Rub catnip onto the sisal material and call the cat over to the post. Scratch your nails along the surface of the material.
* This will attract the cat and at the same time teach him where to scratch. After your cat begins to scratch, praise him and give him a food treat.
* Small kittens can be trained to climb the post by showing them food treats and placing it at the top of the post.
* If your cat has already been scratching a piece of furniture, place the post directly in front of it.
* Temporarily cover the previously scratched areas with a few strips of double-sided carpet tape or clear double-sided tape strips that are designed for this purpose.
* This will help redirect your cat?s scratching activities to the post.
* Most cats are easily trained but if your cat is the exception, please see catsinternational.org for free behaviour counselling.