How to keep your pets safe and calm during the noisy season
We often hear of pets going missing over the festive season and would like to implore you to keep in mind the following points in order to keep your pets safe and calm.
Dates to keep in mind:
5 November ........ Guy Fawkes
24 December ...... Christmas Eve
25 December ...... Christmas Day
31 December ...... New Year's Eve
1 January ............ New Year's Day
Tips on helping to keep your anxious pet calm this festive season:
- Give calming treatment at least 2 hours before the stressful event – please remember that there is very little that can calm a pet that already has adrenaline and cortisol rushing through their veins, so it’s important to give medications before signs of anxiety are seen.
- Keep pets in a well-lit room.
- Keep all curtains drawn to shelter them from any flashing lights or lightning.
- Play music loudly enough to drown out the sound of thunder or fireworks.
- Sit with your pets but try to carry on normally. They can sense when you become tense.
Additional things to remember:
- Please remember to place a tag on your pet’s collar to ensure you’re easily reached if they accidentally escape the yard.
- Microchipping your pet will ensure that you get contacted should your pet end up at a veterinary practice or shelter.
- Please ensure all escape routes are properly closed off and that anxious pets are under constant supervision by someone.